UCSB/UC Funding Sources and Resources
- UCSB Graduate Division Financial Center- Links to various UCSB and UC-wide funding sources.
- Grad Post- Money- Managed by the UCSB Graduate Student Resource Center. Fellowships, Post-Docs, Grants, Stipends and more.
- IGCC (UC Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation)- Various funding opportunities.
Other Funding Sources and Resources
- The Foundation Center's SearchZone- Searchable Database of Foundations
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH)- Various Grants
- Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars- Fellowships
- Fulbright Program- Travel grants for US citizens to study overseas (and vice versa)
- Social Science Research Council- Fellowships and grant programs
- NARA Presidential Libraries- Foundations of several of these libraries offer travel grants
Archives (Physical and Digital)
General (covering more than one nation/region)
- Archives Made Easy- A project (by PBWorks) that hosts reviews of archives in various countries.
United States (US)
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC)- Searchable database of collections held by archives across the US. An excellent resource maintained by the Library of Congress.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)- The US federal records agency that administers the following:
- Library of Congress- Extensive collections including papers of various govermental officials.
- Hoover Institution (at Stanford University)- Extensive print and visual media collections.
United Kingdom (UK)
- The National Archives (formerly the Public Record Office)- Located in Kew (outside central London), the former PRO is a major resource not only for scholars of the UK, but also of the US and Commonwealth nations.
- Discovery- (formerly The Catalogue)- Searchable database of National Archives collections
- Databases for UK archival collections- Lists various searchable databases of UK archival collections.
- Churchill Archives Centre- The home of Sir Winston Churchill's papers and other records.
- Library and Archives Canada consisting of the former National Archives of Canada (Archives Canada), the central repository for Canadian federal government records, and the former National Library of Canada, whose holdings include an extensive collection of Canadian newspapers. Located in central Ottawa.
- Archives Canada (Canadian Archival Information Network)- This Web site developed by the Canadian Council of Archives. includes a searchable database of Canadian archival collections.
- Bundesarchiv- Archive of the Federal Republic of Germany
- H-German (H-Net Discussion List) Archive Information page
- French Diplomatic Archives (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Digital (Online) Archives
- National Security Archive (at George Washington University)- Declassified documents.
- Access to Archival Databases (AAD), allows search of some of NARAs electronic resource holdings
- Online Archive of California- Primary sources (visual and textual) as well as finding aids.
Journals and Organizations
- Diplomatic History - official journal of the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- International Security (1976-2012) - produced by the MIT Press (1976-2012)
- Journal of Cold War Studies (JCWS)- produced by the MIT Press for the Harvard Project on Cold War Studies (HPCWS)
- Cold War History- based in the Cold War Studies Programme at LSE IDEAS, the London School of Economics Centre for International Affairs, Strategy and Diplomacy
- Cold War International History Project (CWIHP) Bulletin- recently released and translated documents.
Professional Organizations (selected listing)
- Society for Historians of Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- Society for Military History (SMH)
- Peace History Society
Institutions, Centers, and other Research Organizations
- Cold War International History Project (Woodrow Wilson Center)
- Center for Russian and East European Studies (University of Virginia)
- German Historical Institute (Washington, DC)
- LSE (London School of Economics and Political Science) Cold War Studies Project
- George Washington (University) Cold War Group (GWCW) at the Institute for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies
Other Resources :
Guides to Doing Research
- "Untangling the Web of Cold War Studies or, How One Historian Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Internet"